A Full Guide on How to Cite a Paraphrase for Different Formats
When you are creating your paper, you may need to use various reliable sources for brining more detailed and clear information in your article. If you use another author’s words in your document, you need to cite your quote. But sometimes you may just need to rephrase an author’s words for including to your paper, and this is paraphrasing. Are you questioning yourself how do you write a paraphrase? Don’t worry, in this guide, you will find all the needed tips for citing!
Remember that a paraphrase must reflect the same ideas as the original quote from the source. Here are some tips on how to do it correctly:
- It must reflect certain meaning of sentence or phrase. You may say it in your own words but without changing its meaning
- It’s not enough just replace all words in a direct quote by synonyms. Reread the quote again and keep in your mind that you should tell the same things by your own words
- In case there is a need for using original words from a direct quote, you have to put quotation marks.
How to Cite a Paraphrase in MLA Properly?
For MLA style, you should rephrase author’s words and mention the writer’s name and page number at the end of your sentence.
Example: In the book “The Power of Habit”, an author explains three reasons that can create any habit - these are the reward, cue, and routine (Duhigg 18).
How to Cite a Paraphrase APA Correctly?
In this case, you should include some information about an author and date of publication. You also may write page number, but it’s not necessary. If you are writing several sentences, you must include this citation at the end of each sentence.
Example: As we see from the study, all elements of our society are well-connected to each other and it’s always possible building a clear hierarchy (Smith, 2009).
How to Cite a Paraphrase in Chicago Style?
You should rewrite author’s original phrase without changing the meaning. When you have to cite a paraphrase in Chicago style, it’s necessary adding a superscript number at the end of your sentence.
Example: According to description of Harper Lee, judge Taylor had a quite odd habit: he let people smoke in the courtroom but never did it himself; all he could allow was to munch a long dry cigar in his mouth during hearing.
It is obligatory including following note in your footnotes (write it at the bottom of the page):
1. Lee, Harper. To Kill a Mockingbird. New York: Harper Perennial Modern Classics, (2006): 135.
How to Get Qualified Help with Writing My Paper?
You may be overloaded with a lot of assignments. In this case, you need professional help to fulfill your tasks. EssayVikings is a reliable company that provides assisting with any kind of academic papers of any complexity and subject! If you don’t know how to cite a paraphrase, make a list of references, or entire paper, we are ready to help! Visit our website for cooperation and get a lot of benefits:
- We are ready to fulfill your assignment within your deadline
- Each and every paper will be checked for plagiarism and grammar mistakes
- We have acceptable prices for students
- Our company works with the most experienced writers all over the world
So what are you waiting for? Place an order today and get any assignment of yours fulfilled of top level and enjoy your A+ grade!